Thursday, June 28, 2007

Princess Froggy Veronica

keep art alive; photograph by Julia

Veronica is all the things I wish I was at her age, and beyond. She is bold and bright, and emenates such a strong sense of self and spirit that I half expect her to take a running leap and fly right up into the air - with or without wings. She has a superhero's nature, brave and daring, yet she still possesses that ever-fragile and illusive wonder and innocence - you can recognize it in the way she asks why, with a slight lift in her voice and a tilt of the head, and in the way she takes in the world around her.

She has an artist's viewpoint on everything. She is happiest when painting and drawing, or making "craps" at home, at her Grandparents, and her birthday-twin Auntie Kate. She is giving in her art, too. She colors pages for the grocery store clerks and baggers, marks up dream castles in chalk on the pavement, and paints garbage cans into unique works at home, and for Auntie Kate.

I love to watch her when she does not notice my gaze, to see the way she examines everything around her, painting everything with this storybook imagination that I can see coming to life with every blink and wide open stare of her eyes. She notices the tiniest details in this world, the ladybug hidden among a patch of weeds and flowers, the glitter stuck in a mess of hair on a girl at the park; she is a discoverer of the beauty in everything.

She is fearless, and although it often scares me, I am also delighted in how I see her in the future. She has a bit of fire to her, and it is known to strike and burn at times. But, I see this as another of her gifts that will help her as she grows. This strength and passion are such gifts, and I sit back knowing that she will be able to set out and conquer anything she comes up against, and forge on through to fulfill any dreams she decides are worth fighting for.

She loves with just as much fury as she can battle with, and she is endlessly generous with those she takes into her heart. Veronica is open with her heart, too. She embraces people in general, never seeming to notice the differences. She will tell stories and her daily news to the homeless man at the park with his cart of belongings just as earnestly and with joy as she does with the women behind the perfume counter at the expensive mall department store. She would probably offer them all up a freshly picked wildflower, and a drawing, too.

Five years she has been in my life, forever changing it, and making it more color-filled and beauty bright. She is amazing and I love her so very much.

Saying "You can call me anything you like,
but my name is Veronica"

5 comments:

Säde Foley said...

Happy birthday to Veronica! I remember when she was born and she's grown up to be such an amazing-sounding little girl. I wish I could meet her.

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

That is an awesome photo! Happy birthday, Veronica... a little late. What a cool kid!

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

pokepokepoke...

You doing OK?

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

pokepokepoke...

You doing OK?

david santos said...

Happy birthday to Veronica!!!
Really beautiful posting.
Congratulations.